- Water and Sanitation infrastructure development suitable for communities and schools in rural, peri-urban and urban (including slums) setups
- Third party Certification in Open Defecation Free (ODF) Kenya campaign 2013 roadmap and beyond.
- Community and institutional capacity development for efficient and effective operation and management of water and sanitation infrastructure in rural and urban set-ups
- Hygiene promotion and education for behavior change
- Advocacy for Water and Sanitation governance through Human Rights based approach (HRBA) to programming in WASH governance focusing on Equity and Social Inclusion.
- Linkages and networking for policy influencing and sharing of best practices in WASH
The project locations
Kisumu, Siaya, Mombasa, Bungoma and Elgeyo Marakwet Tana, Msambweni, Migori, Busia, Kajiado, Eldoret, the informal settlements/slum areas of Kibera, Mukuru, Korogocho, and Kangemi in Nairobi
Project beneficiariesDirect project beneficiaries from each area will be;
- Primary school children from 10 selected primary schools.
- Local community members (women and men) in locations with Maji Safi Kiosk.
Key Project activities
- Baseline data collection to determine the prevailing level of knowledge, prevalence of waterborne diseases, current hygiene standards, past and current WASH education interventions.
- Set-up of a training of trainers concept and Provision of content regarding health, water and hygiene based on a participatory pedagogical concept (PHAST)
- Designing and pre-testing of two different training manuals customized for Community multipliers such as community health workers (CHWs) and primary school teacher
- Community members and schools have access to safe drinking water (at the Maji Safi Kiosks).
- Behavior change on good water, health and hygiene practices